Your child must meet the following criteria:
- 8 to 24 months old — adjusted for prematurity, if applicable.
- Diagnosed with cerebral palsy or a motor delay and impairment in muscle tone, posture or active movement.
- Learning to sit; sitting for at least three seconds (with legs in front of them, with or without using hand support) but not able to get into sitting without help.
If your child is able to get in and out of sitting well they will not be eligible. Your baby may be eligible if s/he is able to sit like the babies in the example images below:
You must also live in these locations to qualify:
- Greater Los Angeles/southern California region
- Greater Seattle area
- Omaha, Nebraska
Here are some of the beneficial things we offer:
- The intervention participants receive as part of this study will be in addition to the services they normally receive.
- Participants may potentially see improvements in motor skills and learning.
- Participants will have access to child development specialists during five regular assessments over one year.
- Participants have the option for visits in the comfort of their home.
- Participants may schedule visits when it fits their schedule.
What to Expect
What would participation in our research be like? Here’s what to expect with assessment and intervention:
Trained assessors would come to your home five times over the span of one year and assess your child’s thinking, toy play, language, motor skill and problem-solving ability.
Your child will be randomly assigned to either the MORE-PT or the START-Play group.
- Both groups will get 24 sessions of physical therapy delivered by the research team in the family home or at a research clinic, whichever the parent prefers.
- Your child can continue all their regular services.
- Your participation in our study and any information would be confidential and you are free to withdraw from the study at any point.
- There is no charge for the therapy your child will receive in the study.